Contraception (Birth Control)
According to different surveys, it has been found that a majority number of people do not have proper knowledge about birth control. Married couples, as well as living partners, should understand the need for birth control. In the present economic scenario and global human population rise, many couples decide not to have more than one or two babies. In many cases, working couples choose not to have any babies at all. Hence, they must have clear ideas about birth control. In medical term, birth control has been called as contraception.
Contraception can be defined as birth controlling technique which has been attained through various methods. More or less ten to fifteen birth controlling methods are there. With the advent of time, more scientifically robust techniques are approaching in the marketplace for giving better contraception to the couples.
Contraception enables a couple to choose between having a baby as per their wish without sacrificing their urge for physical intimacy. It has been found that physical intimacy or sex keeps a relationship healthy. However, at the same time, couples do not want to have babies until a certain time span.
This is why a clear conception of contraception is essential. In many countries, state-sponsored programs are there to spread awareness about contraception. A lot of non-profitable organizations also work relentlessly to spread awareness among young people.
Contraception or prevention or pregnancy or birth control is a process that can be done through various measures. Broadly, we can divide contraception into two categories. The first type is normal contraception, and the other type is emergency contraception. Apart from that, contraception can be done without medical assistance and with medical assistance. Contraception without medical assistance is changing the lifestyle. Avoiding mating with a partner is the only way of contraception without medical help. However, it does not help to keep a relationship healthy. Moreover, physical intimacy or mating will keep two persons in a healthy state of mind as well as body. Thus, the term contraception refers to the birth controlling process with medical assistance.
The combined pill is an oral contraceptive pill which is often casually called as “the pill.” This is an “over the counter” pill, though before opting for such tablets consulting doctors is highly recommended. This pill comes with females hormones like progesterone and estrogen. Enhanced activity of these hormones creates a shield around the eggs inside the ovary. As a result, sperms cannot reach the eggs and zygote formation does not take place. Stopping the sperms from fertilizing the eggs inside the ovary through the combined pills is the safest method for contraception. There are two common working mechanisms of the combined pills. Either they keep sperm and eggs apart so that fertilization does not happen. They can also stop the release of eggs from the ovary, and thus sperm cannot fertilize the eggs.
Some of the crucial features of combined pills can be noted in the following section.
- The combined pill has been considered as 99% useful to prevent unwanted pregnancy. However, it has to be consumed properly. Missing any dosage may lead to some troubles.
- It is suggested that one should take the pill at the same time on a daily basis. So, if you are making it after your dinner on the first day, you need to make the remaining pills at the same time for the month.
- There could be some minor side-effects of this pill. It can lead to an abrupt mood swing, headache, migraine problem, etc. Breast tenderness and nausea other side-effects which are quite rarely encountered.
- A popular misconception is that consumption of this pill leads to weight gaining. Well, there is no scientific evidence to support this theory. Hence, it is a myth or misconception.
- The combined pill is suitable for women under the age of 35 years. If your age is more than that, doctors may not prescribe you to have this contraceptive pill.
- Side-effects of the combined pills are common for those who smoke regularly and drink alcohol frequently.
There are two types of combined pills available at the marketplace. The first type is known as 21-day pills. The other type is called a daily pill. More information on these pills is provided in the following section.
- 21-Day Pill: The first pill should be consumed at the beginning of the menstrual cycle. Now, for the upcoming 21 days, one tablet on each day has to be consumed at the same time on a daily basis. Typically, the packet of the pills comes with marking for day 1 to day 21. Following that marking is essential as different tablets come with different portions of hormones. So, following a proper schedule is important.
- Every Day Pill: Everyday pill is similar to 21-day medicine. You need to start on the beginning date of your menstrual cycle. Every day pill comes with 28 tablets for daily basis. The first 21 pills are hormone pills, and the remaining seven pills are not hormone pills. They are provided so that users have no confusion in consuming these pills.
Now, an important question is what you should do when you miss out a pill? Well, it is strictly advised that if a tablet is missed, you need to follow the order of package marking without taking that pill. Some people take two pills together on the next day if they miss out a tablet. This is an entirely wrong thing to do. It is to be remembered that missing a pill would increase the chance of pregnancy. In other words, the contraception process will get weaker if you miss out a tablet or more pills.
Those who are facing extreme side-effects problems with combined pill should not be disappointed as various other methods of contraception are available. Contraception cap or diaphragm is one of the most popular ways for birth control.
This is nothing but a circular dome-like structure which is made of silicone. It should be inserted into the vagina before sex. It covers the cervix area so the sperm cannot enter the womb to fertilize the eggs. Some of the features and facts on this contraceptive method have been discussed below.
- This method for avoiding unwanted pregnancy is considered 92-96% effective. It has to be used correctly along with a spermicide.
- It does not pose any serious health risks or side-effects. However, it has to be appropriately inserted. If not correctly entered, it may cause mild pain and even infections.
- Ideally, it should be used before having sex with a partner. If it has been used for more than 3 hours, more spermicide needs to be inserted to prevent sperms from fertilizing the eggs.
- If you gain weight more than 3 Kg, you need to change the diaphragm that you use. The size will be changed, and you need a bigger or smaller one to fit inside your vagina. For change in size, doctors are required to be consulted.
- When you use this diaphragm, and your partner uses a condom, you both get excellent protection from sexually transmitted diseases, including spreading HIV.
Inserting the diaphragm or cap has to be done with perfection otherwise chance of infections is there. Whenever you enter it into your vagina before having sex, you should wash your hands properly.
Male condoms are popular in contrast to female condoms. Using male condoms is the best way of preventing unwanted pregnancy. However, male condoms can only assure 80-85% protection. There are chances or occasions when condoms may get ruptured, and semen or sperm gets into the vagina. Semen contains a lesser amount of sperm, but that is good enough to cause pregnancy. The male condom also protects against STD (Sexually Transmitted Diseases).
Female condoms are the latest introductions, and they are not highly popular yet. However, the effectiveness of the female condom is quite commendable. With these, 95% chance is there to prevent or escape unwanted pregnancy. The female condom, formally known as Femidom, has been made with soft thin plastic.
It should be inserted inside women vagina so that sperm cannot reach the womb. Like the male condom, the female condom is not reusable. After having sex, female condom should be removed at the earliest so that risk of any infections can be avoided.
Another primary, as well as a popular method of attaining prevention of unwanted pregnancy despite enjoying physical interactions with partners, is to choose contraceptive implant. It is a small and flexible plastic rod, which is implanted under the skin of the upper arm of a woman. It releases progesterone into the bloodstream which helps to prevent pregnancy. Once implanted, it will stay active for around three years. Here are some crucial facts to know about this contraceptive implant.
- The contraceptive implant is considered as highly effective for the birth control process. It gives more than 99% assurance of preventing pregnancy.
- Once implanted, it will protect against pregnancy for the coming three years. but, it can be removed at some time as required.
- Many people note some side-effects due to this contraceptive implant. It enhances the percentage of progesterone hormone to your body. As a result, mild side effects like abrupt mood swing, mild headache, etc., can be noted. The intensity of a headache can go extremely, and migraine problem may also occur. For prevention of such extreme side-effects, the implanted stick should be removed.
- Swelling and tenderness around the implant area can be felt.
- Your menstrual cycle would be disrupted. It will become lighter or irregular. Even, it could also become more substantial as well as more extended.
It is to be reminded that the contraceptive method is only useful to provide birth control. It does not ensure any sorts of prevention from sexually transmitted diseases.
With contraceptive injection, progesterone hormone can be inserted into the bloodstream of human beings. Many women opt for such unique as well as an effective method of birth control. The effect of injection will stay around 13 weeks. After 13 weeks, you need to go for another injection.
Since progesterone hormone is inserted to blood at a high level, some side-effects can be followed after the injection has been given to a person. Enhanced percentage of progesterone hormone could lead to irregularity in blood pressure level.
High blood pressure condition can lead to a mood swing, uncontrolled anger, etc. Blood pressure irregularity can cause vomiting tendency, nausea, and migraine headache. Despite having the possibilities to show up side-effects, this contraceptive method is considered useful since it gives more than 99% pregnancy prevention assurance.
Vasectomy is a surgical process which cuts and seals the tubes that carry sperm for men. Most of the contraceptive measures are applied to females, except the male condoms. This is the only method of contraception, except using a male condom, applied to a male. The method is suggested for married couples who already have kids or children.
If the couple does not want any other children, this is the best contraception method, though it gives permanent infertility to a man. So, once the surgery has been done, the fertility of the man cannot be revoked.
There are certain misconceptions regarding this process of contraception. It is commonly believed that after vasectomy, a person loses sex drive. However, this is not at all true. The surgery would not have any impact over the sex drive of a person, and the person would be able to participate in physical intimacy with his partner just like before.
It does not give any sorts of assurance on preventing sexually transmitted diseases or HIV spreading. The surgery is considered as minor surgery through the small risk of infection is there.
At conclusion note, it is to be added that contraception is an essential thing for every human being. It is a part of sex education in many countries across the world. Spreading awareness on birth control is essential to stop unwanted pregnancy. Along with many contraception methods, prevention of HIV transmission and other sexually transmitted diseases can be attained.